Wastewater Could Hold Critical COVID-19 Data
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- Several teams of scientists believe that human waste may hold the key to determining when a community is ready to lift its lockdown.
- Initial studies show that "Wastewater-based-epidemiology" is an effective tool to measure both general COVID-19 infection rates, as well as the moment where COVID-19 ailments begins subsiding.
- Studying the sewage could potentially fill a lot of the data holes left by testing shortages, false negatives, and asymptomatic carriers.
- According to experts, the amount of virus detected in wastewater can accurately reflect the timing and scale of an outbreak in ways that delayed in-person testing cannot.
- While the idea may seems gross in the Americas, wastewater-based epidemiology has been successfully deployed in multiple other places throughout the world over the last 40 years.