Virginia Records First Case of South African Coronavirus Variant
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- Virginia has recorded the first case of a COVID-19 variant from South Africa, Gov. Ralph Northam confirmed Friday
- The case was identified by a private lab, Northam said
- The South African coronavirus variant, called B.1.351 variant is said to cause more severe disease and increased risk of death compared to other strains
- Northam says the emergence of these new deadly strains necessitate urgent and widespread COVID-19 vaccinations
- Virginia already has four cases of a coronavirus variant from the UK