US Unemployment Claims Rise Again
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- The Labor Department Thursday said that unemployment claims rose to 861,000 last week, jumping by 55,000 from the previous week
- This figure is nearly 100,000 more claims than economists had predicted and the highest number in a month
- Last week's initial claims were four times higher than in the same period last year
- Last year, initial claims jumped to 3.3 million in the week ending March 21 before peaking at 6.9 million
- However, nearly a year later, the weekly numbers have reduced, but have not improved significantly