US Unemployment Claims Near Record High
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- The number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits have neared pre-pandemic records, but the figure is still a historical high
- More than 5.9 million Americans have filed a "continued claim" for state unemployment insurance in the week ending Nov. 14
- These figures are close to the prior peak of 6.5 million claims set during the Great Recession in 2009
- Although the current figure is still much lower than the pandemic high of nearly 23 million claims in May, it is still much higher than it was before the pandemic began in February
- There are about 9 million self-employed, gig, and other workers who are currently receiving benefits through the temporary Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program