US Life Expectancy Drops One Full Year Due to COVID-19
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- Average life expectancy in the US has dropped by one full year, particularly among Black and Hispanic people
- Overall US life expecatancy dropped to 77.8 years from 78.8 years estimated in 2019
- Declines were greater for certain demographics; for instance, average life expectancy dropped by 2.7 years for Black people and 1.9 for Hispanic people
- Life expectancy also varied between gender, with more declines for Black and Hispanic males
- The new data highlight the heavy impact of the coronavirus pandemic on certain racial communities compared to others