Clear Link Between AstraZeneca Vaccine and Blood Clots in the Brain - European Medicines Agency
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- There is a clear link between AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine and blood clots in the brain, but the possible causes are still unclear, a senior official for the European Medicines Agency said Tuesday
- However, the EMA later said its investigation was ongoing and is expected to report its findings on Wednesday or Tuesday
- The EMA has repeatedly said the benefits of the AstraZeneca shot outweigh its risks as it reviews 44 reports of a rare blood clot formation out of nearly 10 million people in the Europe Economic Area that have received the shot
- Some countries, including France, Germany, and the Netherlands, have suspended the use of the vaccine in younger people pending the results of the investigations
- A causal link with the vaccine is not proven, but is possible and further review is ongoing, the European medicines agency said