Swift Backlash as Texas Drops COVID-19 Restrictions
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- Governor Greg Abbot earlier this week announced that Texas would end a statewide mask mandate and allow businesses to reopen to full capacity from March 10
- Abbot pointed to the pandemic's effect on small businesses, stating that too many small business owners have had to struggle to make ends meet as a result of the restrictions
- However, the decision to end the statewide restrictions has been met with widespread criticisms, with Califonia Gov. Gavin Newsom describing it as "reckless"
- Gilberto Hinojosa, chair of the Democratic party in Texas, also lent his voice to the development, stating that opening Texas prematurely will lead to faster COVID-19 spread and more deaths
- Medical experts have also suggested that such plans to reopen the state fully should only come after a much higher percentage of the population has been vaccinated