South America is the New Epicenter of COVID-19 - WHO
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- South America has now become the epicenter of the global coronavirus pandemic, the World Health Organization declared on Friday
- This comes as cases surged sharply in the Brazillian Municipalities Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro
- Brazil is the hardest-hit South American country, with more than 319,000 confirmed cases and 20,541 deaths, much higher than the average cases in other countries in the region
- Experts have continued to criticize President Jair Bolsonaro's poor response to the pandemic, as he has publicly minimized its impact and spoken against social distancing measures set in place to curb the spread of the virus
- The epicenter of the deadly infection moved from China to Europe in March and has since then infected more than 5 million people and killed at least 335,063 people worldwide