Some Children's Hospitals See a Surge in Rare COVID-19 Complication
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- Many Children's hospitals are seeing a spike in a rare COVID-19 complication called multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C)
- Although COVID-19 rarely causes severe disease in children, some children develop this severe complication
- Doctors are yet to fully understand the condition, but say the disease causes widespread inflammation in the body, which could be life-threatening
- The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said there have been 2,617 cases of MIS-C in the country before March 1, and 33 children have died
- That's up from early February, when 2,060 cases and 30 deaths were reported