New York Gov. Cuomo Accused of Undercounting Nursing Home Deaths
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and his administration have been accused of undercounting COVID-19 nursing home deaths by as much as 50 percent
- Critics claim the state's death toll for nursing homes includes only deaths that occurred at facilities and does not include residents who died after they were transferred to hospitals
- State Senate Minority Leader Rob Ortt accused the administration of deliberately concealing the deadly impact of the virus in the state
- However, the state's health commissioner, Dr. Howard Zucker, denied such claims, saying that the state had always made it clear that the death toll in nursing homes only included deaths within facilities, not outside them
- He added that the department of health reports death tolls based on place of death