New AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine Data Shows Protection After First Dose
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- New clinical trials of the AstraZeneca-Oxford University COVID-19 vaccine suggests that the vaccine confers strong protection after the first dose and could potentially slow the spread of the virus
- The AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine uses a weakened flu virus to carry SARS-CoV-2 genetic material into cells to make coronavirus spike proteins that trigger an immune response
- According to the new study, single-dose efficacy was 76 percent for up to three months
- Also, the team examined the vaccine's potential to reduce asymptomatic transmission, and found an overall 67 percent reduction in positive tests after the first vaccine dose
- These new findings bolster evidence that vaccination may help cut transmission