COVID-19 Cases Surge as more than 1,500 People Die Daily in the US
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- The United States recorded more than 195,500 new cases of the coronavirus on Friday, a record-high spike since the pandemic began
- This jump in cases brings the seven-day average of new coronavirus cases up over 167,000, an increase of nearly 20% from the previous week's figure
- The seven-day average of new cases have risen by at least 5% every week in 43 states and the District of Columbia, data from Johns Hopkins University has shown
- The rise in cases is also driving the increase in hospitalization and death rates, with more than 82,100 people hospitalized with COVID-19 across the country, a record count since the pandemic began
- Further, more than 1,800 people died of COVID-19 on Friday, with daily counts of at least 1,500 since Tuesday