Latin America Carrying a Rising Burden of COVID-19 Cases
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- About 250,000 of the new 732,000 coronavirus cases reported last week were from Latin America, the director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) Carissa Etienne said
- As the global coronavirus count rises to more than 6.2 million cases, nearly half of the countries with the highest number of cases are located in Latin America
- Latin America has surpassed over 1 million cases and has reported more than 50,000 deaths.
- More than half of these cases were reported in Brazil, which also has more than 60% of the deaths
- Etienne said Latin America was one of the most vulnerable groups of people in this pandemic, as they are made up of crowded cities with a high prevalence of noncommunicable chronic diseases