FDA Warns Against Using Ivermectin for COVID-19 after Reports of Hospitalizations
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Friday warned against the use of Ivermectin in treating COVID-19
- The agency said it had received multiple reports of patients who have required hospitalization and medical support after medicating with Ivermectin intended for horses
- The announcement noted that the FDA has not approved the drug for prevention or treatment of COVID-19
- The announcement comes a day after a new study published in JAMA found that ivermectin did not significantly improve recovery time in patients with COVID-19
- Ivermectin is a cheap antiparasitic medication used in the treatment of scabies, lice, and roundworm infections
- A study in Australia was the first to describe the effectiveness of the drug against COVID-19, after finding that the drug significantly lowered replication of the virus in vitro