FDA Authorizes First Tests To Quantify Coronavirus Antibodies
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authorized the first two COVID-19 serology tests to quantify antibodies present in the blood of recovered coronavirus patients
- Both tests, developed by Siemens, do not give a precise measurement of coronavirus antibodies but an estimate
- When one gets infected with coronavirus, the body mounts up an immune response that results in a surge of immune cells to the infection site
- FDA officials say having an estimate of the amount of immune cells triggered in response to the virus may help scientists better understand immunity to the infection
- They warn, however, that those whose test reveals significant immune response to the virus should not stop taking preventive measures against a re-infection