FDA Approves Syringes that Extract an Extra Dose from COVID-19 Vaccine Vials
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- FDA gives approval for health professionals to extract an additional vaccine dose from each vial in some situations
- Originally, each vial of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine contained five doses, but some pharmacists have reported that they could extract six doses using certain syringes
- As a result, the FDA approved that low dead-volume syringes and/or needles can be used to extract six doses from a single vial
- Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said this increase in doses per vial provides an additional 20 percent capacity
- The federal government has, however, contracted McKesson, a medical supplies company, to produce these syringe kits