FDA Approves Antibody Treatment for COVID-19
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- On Saturday, the US Food and Drug Administraion (FDA) issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) for antibody drugs casirvirimab and imdevimab to be administered together for the treatment of mild to moderate COVID-19 in adults and pediatric patients aged 12 years or older
- In a clinical trial, both drugs, when administered together, reduced COVID-19-related hospitalizaton or emergency room visits in patients at high risk for disease progression within 28 days after treatment
- Researchers say casirivimab and imdevimab must be administered together via the intravenous route to get these results
- However, the drugs are not authorized for patients with severe COVID-19, for which they are hospitalized or require oxygen therapy
- Both drugs are monoclonal antibodies made in the laboratory to mimic the immune system's ability to fight off harmful pathogens