Fauci Warns UK Coronavirus Strain Could "Cause More Damage"
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- Dr. Anthony Fauci warned on Sunday that new data suggests that the UK coronavirus variant could be deadlier
- Fauci said UK health officials initially said the new variant wasn't more lethal, but have now retracted the statement, citing new evidence that suggests that the new variant could be about 30 percent more deadly in older adults
- The average death rate among 60-year-olds in the UK has been about 10 in 10,000; but with the new strain, this has increased to about 14 deaths in 10,000
- The UK strain has been detected in at least 22 states of the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Fauci added that the available coronavirus vaccines may be less effective against the new strains