External Pressures Won't Rush COVID-19 Vaccine - FDA Chief
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- The Commisioner of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Stephen Hahn, MD, said last week that the decisions to approve a COVID-19 vaccine will be based on data and science, without any political influence
- Hahn said this in a Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) webinar titled "The Review Process for Vaccines to Prevent COVID-19: A Discussion"
- The FDA has made public its criteria for vaccine approval, to ensure transparency in the vaccine authorization process
- The development of a COVID-19 vaccine has gone on much faster than the usual 10-15 year timeline, being spurred by Operation Warp Speed, a US project aimed at getting a n effective and safe coronavirus vaccine faster to the public
- The FDA said the vaccine candidates will go through a well-structured,randomized phase 3 trial to be eligible for a biological use application or an emergency use authoritzation