Delta Variant Now Comprises 91% of New Cases in the UK
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- The UK's Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Thursday that the Delta variant first identified in India now comprises 91% of new coronavirus cases in the country
- Hancock said this while addressing the Science and Technology and Health and Social Care committees on the country's plan to beat the pandemic
- This comes as COVID-19 cases have more than doubled in one week from about 5000 a day to more than 11,000 a day
- The UK Government is expected to decide next week whether to ease current restrictions in England or still keep them on
- The Delta variant has been said to be 60% more transmissble than the alpha variant, which swept across the country last winter