COVID-19 Masks and Hand Santizers Can Get You a Tax Break, IRS Says
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- Americans can get a tax break if they use masks, hand sanitizers, and other personal protective equipment, the IRS announced Friday
- The IRS says it counts costs incurred for PPE as medical expense that qualifies for a tax break. The agency said PPE costs are eligible to be paid or reimbursed in certain tax-preferred medical accounts.
- The tax code allows taxpayers to deduct medical costs that exceed 7.5% of their adjusted gross income each year
- For instance, individuals with $100,000 of income in 2020 can deduct medical costs of more than $7,500 from their tax bill
- Expenses reimbursed by insurance are not eligible for the tax break