COVID-19 Can Also Infect the Intestines, Heart, and Kidneys
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- COVID-19, the infection caused by COVID-19, does not only affect the lungs but also the heart, kidney, brain, liver, intestines, and pretty much every other organ in the body, researchers noted on Wednesday
- Two separate study reports reveal that the virus spreads beyond the lungs, possibly responsible for the systemic symptoms it causes
- Some of these symptoms include stroke in young people, kidney failure, diarrhea, and vomiting
- This has led to investigations of other possible routes of infection. Investigators found that the virus in stools of some infected patients, possibly transmissible via the feco-oral route
- COVID-19 is classified as a respiratory virus because it is thought to primarily infect the lungs and is transmitted via respiratory droplets