Coronavirus Variants Could Reinfect Recovered COVID-19 Patients - WHO
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- Preliminary reports from South Africa reveal that people with prior COVID-19 infection could get reinfected with a new coronavirus variant, the World Health Organization (WHO) said
- According to the organization's chief scientist, Dr. Soumya Swaminathan, the current COVID-19 vaccines may also reduce the severity of illness caused by the variants
- The vaccine trials done so far in South Africa and Brazil with different vaccine candidates have shown complete protection against severe disease, hospitalization, and death
- Swaminathan at the WHO briefing Friday emphasized the importance of fast vaccination rollout and adherence to public health measures to rein in the outbreak
- The WHO says vaccination may decrease the spread of the new coronavirus variants