Coronavirus May Stay for Weeks on Banknotes
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- Scientists at the Australian Centre for Disease Preparedness have found that SARS-CoV-2 can survive for up to 28 days on smooth surfaces such as mobile phone screens and plastic banknotes
- This compares with the 17-day survival of the flu virus on smooth surfaces
- The scientists say coronavirus can survive for that long only at room temperature or 20 degree Celsius (68 degrees Fahrenheit), with survival falling to less than a day at 40 degrees Celsius, according to the study, published in the journal Virology
- These findings add evidence that the coronavirus survives for longer in cooler whether, suggesting that outbreaks could be worse in winter than summer
- The results also reinforces the need for good hygiene practices including handwashing and regular cleaning of surfaces