Considerations for COVID-19 Testing for the General Public - AMA
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- The American Medical Association (AMA) guides the public in its new update on the indications for undergoing a COVID-19 test to conserve limited testing resources and reduce wait times for results
- The AMA advises that individuals should seek COVID-19 test only when they have a medical need for it
- Medical need for the test includes presence of symptoms of COVID-19, a known exposure to COVID-19, or if the test is needed prior to seeing a physician or before getting a procedure
- Those that do not have a medical need for the test should consider alternatives to limit the spread of the infection, such as self-isolation at home
- Non-medical needs for the test include seeking COVID-19 testing before traveling for non-essential purposes, before returning to work or school, and as a prerequisite for attending large social gatherings
- In these instances, quarantining at home is sufficient to limit the spread of the virus to others