Children Under 5 May Carry Higher Levels of Coronavirus - New Study Finds
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- Children under the age of five have about 10 to 100 times greater levels of genetic material of coronavirus in their noses than other age groups, a new study found
- The study authors stated that this finding may mean that children are important drivers of the COVID-19 transmission in communities, against popular belief that children contribute little to the transmission of the disease
- However, it has been established that children are far less likely to fall ill from the virus than other age groups
- This results come as governments around the world are pushing to reopen schools
- The results came after the authors conducted nasal swab tests on 145 children with mild to moderate illness within a week of symptom onset