Brazil Coronavirus Variant Detected in the US for the First Time
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- The first confirmed case of the COVID-19 Brazil P.1 variant in the US has been reported in Minnesota
- The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) says the variant was detected in a Twin Cities resident who had recently returned from Brazil
- Officials say the variant spreads much faster, but it is uncertain if it is more lethal
- MDH has a program that conducts regular surveillance of the virus for variants, testing up to 50 random samples from University of Minnesota laboratories every week
- The Brazilian variant was first identified in four travelers who were tested at an airport outside Tokyo