AstraZeneca says its Vaccine May be Effective Against New Coronavirus Variant
Click the image below to enlarge the infographic.
- British drugmaker AstraZeneca said in a news conference Tuesday that its COVID-19 vaccine may be effective against the new coronavirus strain
- One of the company's spokesperson explained that AstraZeneca vaccine candidate contains the genetic material of SARS-CoV-2 virus spike protein and changes to the genetic code of the virus, as seen in the new strain, does not alter the structure of the spike protein
- The news comes as a new coronavirus strain was isolated in recent cases of the outbreak in the UK
- Many countries have now shut their borders to UK arrivals to prevent the spread of the new variant
- Experts have warned that the new coronavorus strain may be more rapidly transmissible than the other strain